Wednesday, January 22, 2014

101 in 1001: #25 1 of 5 (Wow...That's a lot of Numbers!)

Happy Snow Day New England!

Right before I left work yesterday afternoon, the snow began to fall and didn't stop until around 9:00 this morning. I believe we got a total of 16 inches of snow, but I can't confirm because, with the wind chill, it's -9 degrees outside. WAY too cold for this southern girl!

While the snow was falling last night, I decided to knock something off my 101 in 1001 list and try a hearty new recipe in our cast-iron skillet! I mean, when it looks like this outside, who wouldn't want some good old-fashioned comfort food?!?


Let me tell you, this recipe turned out AMAZING and will definitely be entering into our regular recipe rotation- plus it was super easy to make and only dirties up ONE pot!!

Without further ado, I present to you my take on Skillet Lasagna!


Ingredients: 


  • Olive Oil 
  • 1 lb. Ground Italian Sausage (I bought the hot variety instead of sweet) 
  • 1 (28 oz) can Diced Tomatoes 
  • 1 (8 oz) can Tomato Sauce 
  • 1/2 Onion, chopped 
  • 1 tsp. Minced Garlic 
  • 1 1/2 cup Chicken Broth 
  • 1 pkg. Four Cheese Ravioli (I bought frozen because it was cheaper)
  • 2 cups Mozzarella Cheese 
  • 1/2 cup Parmesan Cheese, plus more for topping 
  • Parsley, to taste 
Directions: 

In the cast-iron skillet, Coat the bottom with Olive Oil. Add in garlic and onions, and saute over medium heat for about 5 minutes or until onions become soft. 

Add ground sausage to the pot and cook all the way through. Once sausage is browned, mix in diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, chicken broth, and ravioli. 


Bring the mixture to a boil and then reduce heat to medium and let simmer until ravioli is tender and the sauce has reduced and thickened, about 15-20 minutes. 

Remove the skillet from heat and stir in cheeses. Serve hot. 


I served our meal with roasted asparagus and garlic bread- SO good! 


Enjoy! 




No comments :

Post a Comment